Lantana – Poison Plants

Poison Plants in Las Vegas – Lantana

Lantana Humming Bird

Lantana, or yellow sage, is a common enough flower around Las Vegas, and a lot of people will grow it in their gardens as an annual. While it is an undeniably pretty flower, it is also poisonous. It is not uncommon for animals to eat this plant by mistake and quickly grow ill, and possibly die. Luckily, it is possible to determine if your pet has eaten Lantana, if you know what to look for.

Identification

Lantana is a plant with flowers in a variety of colors; yellow, red and orange. It emits a pungent aroma, which is typically what attracts animals to it in the first place. It also produces small, green berries which are poisonous, as are the foliage on the Lantana. They typically reach anywhere from 12-18 inches in height and are most commonly found in grasslands and local gardens. Be mindful that your pet isn’t snooping through other people’s plants during the daily walk! Now that you know how to identify this toxic flower, what about its poison?

Poison

For those of you that are curious as to how the poison functions; it contains lantadene A and B, two toxins found in most poisons. This results in quite a few symptoms, ranging from mild to severe:

Symptoms

  • Depression
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of Energy
  • Liver Failure

The final symptom on this list is by far the most distressing. Triterenoids, or liver toxins, can be found in virtually every part of the Lantana. This is the most lethal of all the symptoms and the one that should make you keep your eyes out for any strange behavior from your pets that may have accidentally ingested the flower.

Lantana

Luckily, there has been no conclusive evidence that the Lantana is actually harmful to humans, and some have even found that their berries are completely edible. That said, you’re probably better off sticking to a strawberry, just in case!

What to Do?

The most important thing for you to do if you believe that your pet has ingested Lantana is to take it to a local vet immediately. Vomiting may be one of the most common symptoms, but it is still inadvisable to let your pet deal with this on its own. Animals poisoned by Lantana are typically treated with charcoal pills that will help absorb the toxins from their bodies. Some have tried just letting their pets rest at home and hoped that it would go away, but this is essentially leaving your pet’s survival up to chance. Contact a veterinarian, this is not something that should be treated at home!

Conclusion

In the Las Vegas area, it is entirely possible that you and your pet will come into contact with Lantana at some point in time. Knowing how to identify this plant can be a big help, but in general you don’t want to let your pets eat random flowers if you can help it.

Colorful Lantana

If you think that your pet has ingested Lantana, contact your local vet immediately. This is easily treatable, and no reason that you should have to bury a family member. Stay safe, stay healthy and stay informed!

Next up…it’s Lantana